The surround of my fireplace is a faux pink brick that needs to go but there are lots of other projects ahead of it. So, in the meantime, I elected to paint it.
The first go-round didn’t go so well. I tried for a natural stone look and it just washed it out. Then I went the route of painting it the same color as the walls around it and it disappeared into the wall – as one should expect. Having little patience when it comes to painting I was about done with this ‘little’ project by now. Then I came across some of the dark glaze left from the Rustoleum refinishing kit that was used on the dresser and armoire re-do so I applied that over the paint.
While it’s not the fireplace or the neatest project I’ve done, it makes the room more bearable till I can get to it. Who knows, once I find the right mantle it may end up looking ok just as it is. In the meantime it’s an improvement and all it took was some extra wall paint and a glaze. Here’s before, in-between and the after shot. It actually came out better than the after shot indicates.